0 Items
(530) 263-3181
Spirit Winds


Answers to common questions

Are classes at Spirit Winds Approved Continuing Education?

 Spirit Winds Trainings are all Approved as Continuing Education with NCBTMB (National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork) Approved Provider #225.

 Spirit Winds is also an Approved Institution with T.H.A.I. (Thai Healing Alliance International)


How do I become a certified Thai Massage Therapist? What is the difference between Certification and Licensing?

Certification and Licensing requirements vary from state to state and sometimes city to city.
Check with your local County Recorder’s Office or City Hall for the specific and accurate guidelines for where you live and want to work.

 In regards to state requirements you can call ABMP (Associated Bodywork Massage Professionals) at (855) 306-4572 and ask what the requirements for Licensing and Certification are for your state.

Certification and Licensing are two different things.  In California, Licensing is voluntary not mandatory (except in a small percentage of cities that are making their own individual requirements).  CAMTC is the organization that is creating Licensing in California.  It requires 500 hours from a State Approved School and does not accept Continuing Education as part of that 500 hours, which means that if you want to get Licensing from CAMTC as a massage therapist then you would need to go to a Western style state approved massage school first before coming for Thai massage training at Spirit Winds School of Thai Massage.  Again, in California, Licensing is voluntary not mandatory.  If you want to work at a Spa for example, they may want therapists with Licensing as employees. If you want to work independently with your own business an unlicensed person can practice massage therapy.  By applying to ABMP at www.ABMP.com  you will receive a certificate according to your level of training by sending in your certificates from all of your classes from Approved Schools and Approved Continuing Education Providers (training in Western modalities and training in Eastern modalities) and you can get your insurance with them.  Depending on your town/city/incorporated or unincorporated you may or may not be able to practice with liability insurance and a business license.

 You can get insurance even while you are a student and work with clients while you are still acquiring your training hours.
We also recommend that you become approved with T.H.A.I (Thai Healing Alliance International) to show that you have been trained in Traditional Thai massage by an Approved Instructor or Institution.  You can go to www.thaihealingalliance.com to see the requirements for levels of membership.  RTT (Registered Thai Therapist) requires 220 hours of training in Traditional Thai massage (not hybrids or western fusion classes) with at least 2 teachers and 50 hours of documented practice.

If you come to Spirit Winds and take all of the classes in the 250 hour Program (each with their own CEU certificate) and perhaps an extra class with a Guest teacher, you will be at a RTT level of training with T.H.A.I.  If you want to become an Advanced Therapist, we recommend you continue on with your studies in Anatomy/Pathology/Ethics and Business to round out your skills, perhaps a trip to Thailand to understand the cultural foundation of Traditional Thai Medicine and to study and receive from other schools and therapists.  You can continue to advance your studies as well at Spirit Winds by taking classes twice for half price and taking more of the Advanced courses as they are being added to the curriculum to bring your training to an Advanced Level of specialization in Traditional Thai Massage.


Where are you located?

Local Trainings are held at a beautiful studio in downtown Nevada City at Inner Path, 200 Commercial St, Nevada City, CA 95959.  Nevada City is a progressive, quaint town in Gold Country. It’s very pretty with historic buildings, good healthy restaurants with many organic choices and shopping, all set in the foothills of the Sierra mountains. The Yuba river is nearby, an amazing mountain stream-fed river with clean water, sandy beaches, granite stones, waterfalls and swimming holes.  Hiking trails are plentiful throughout the area.

What are the options for accommodation?

Accommodations are available at an airbnb within walking distance to the training studio.  There is a house with a single room for $50/night, 2 double spaces for $40/night and a private studio for $50/night with its own kitchenette and bathroom.  There is a sauna on the property as well.
Additionally, private rooms in houses are available if needed for $50/night.
You can request the room you prefer but it is first come first served and Janice will make the
final arrangements according to the individual needs and the group.

Can I come and see/visit the school?

Yes, we would love to show you where you are considering studying.  Please call to make an appointment 530-263-3181.


Do you have special payment arrangements?

You have the option to pay only the deposit at time of registration. The balance is due before starting your class but if you need to make payments this can be extended until after the training.

Payment Plans

If you have the time but don’t have all of the funds you can make a payment plan.  It can be set up according to what you need by talking personally with Janice Gagnon to make arrangements.  Please call 530-263-3181.

If you have any other needs please contact us.

How do I pay for accommodations?

Payments for accommodations are arranged with Janice directly with a deposit at time of registration and full payment by the start date of class.

Can I bring my own camper/van/tent?

Yes, if you prefer to camp in your own space there are campgrounds in the surrounding area of Nevada City.

Do I need to bring bedding?

No, all of linens, blankets, pillows, are already there and beds are made as it is a vacation rental.



Do I bring my own food?

Yes, you bring your own food.  The house has a fully equipped kitchen with all appliances, dishes, utensils, etc.


Can we go out for lunches?

The one-hour lunch break is enough time to get lunch out and be back for class in time.


Are there restaurants in the area for dinners?

Yes, Nevada City and Grass Valley have many great restaurants, organic choices and Co-op grocery stores… Thai restaurants too!


Do we cook meals together?

Sometimes, that is up to you as a group.  We usually do at least one potluck meal that we all share together as a special lunch or dinner, and we usually go out for a Thai meal as a special evening together at the end of the training.


Activities in the Area:


What is there to do after class in the area?


Walking distance:  There are hikes within walking distance of the airbnb.

Driving distance: The Yuba river; (15 minutes drive) is beautiful!  It has swimming holes, sandy beaches, waterfalls, granite rocks, and hiking trails.
Nevada City/Grass Valley; historic gold mining towns with tourism so there is a lot of great shopping and restaurants.  Nevada City is a progressive and eclectic community and its organic options and alternative clothing and shops reflect that.
Lake Tahoe; one hour drive is a great destination for a day trip on your days off.




Where do I fly into?


You can fly into Reno (seasonal) but I do not recommend flying into Reno from November to April.  The Donner pass is a very difficult and slow drive in snow season. In summer season it is a 1 ½ hour drive from the Reno airport to the school.

I recommend flying into Sacramento for classes throughout the year.  It is about an hour and 20 minute drive from the Sacramento airport to the school.


What are the transportation options?


Students are responsible for organizing their own transportation.  Options are renting a car at the airport or booking a door-to-door shuttle service:

The best and cheapest option is Nevada County Airporter: $105/one way for 1-5 passengers 530-575-7011  ncairporter.com ask for Robert.

Sac airport shuttle: $189/one way for 1-6 passengers 916-234-6884


Can I share a ride with someone else coming from the airport?

Yes, we will do our best to connect via email all of the students flying into the Sacramento airport so that you can try to coordinate your flights to land within a similar time frame and share costs of a rental car or shuttle.


What is the address of the school?

Inner Path, 200 Commercial St, Nevada City, CA 95959


Waiting Lists

If a class is full can you sign up to be on a waiting list?


Yes, when you click on “register” for a course on the website it will show “This class is full, sign up on our waiting list”.  Fill out the information and submit it and your name will be added to the waiting list for that event and we will contact you to let you know that we have you in the file.