Spirit Winds Certified Instructors
Spirit Winds School of Thai Massage is dedicated to practicing and teaching Traditional lineages from a holistic approach for physical, emotional, and spiritual healing.
The Certified Instructors are female teachers of Traditional Thai Medicine, specifically trained by Janice Gagnon. Trainings are devoted to carrying on the legacy of Jap Sen, a matriarchal lineage of Advanced Herbal Traditional Thai massage, passed down directly from Master Lek Chaiya. We honor female lineages, it is our intention to support and encourage Women as Leaders in Thai Medicine.
Additional trainings include Advanced Northern Techniques, Intuitive Sen Line Therapies, Table Thai, Thai Foot, and Prenatal/Postnatal Protocols.
Head Teacher – Founder of Spirit Winds School of Thai Massage
Founder - Spirit Winds School of Thai Massage
Janice Gagnon is the founder of Spirit Winds School of Thai Massage located in Nevada City, CA. She has been studying throughout all regions of Thailand since 1997. Janice is recognized as an Advanced Instructor and Therapist. She studied at the Institute of Thai Massage and The Old Medicine Hospital in Chiang Mai, Thailand. Janice has also studied extensively one-to-one with Master Lek Chaiya in “Jap-Sen” Herbal Thai Massage. Janice has hosted and co-taught with Lek at Spirit Winds from 2001-2012. Lek passed on in 2013, Janice carries on this matriarchal lineage in her loving memory.
Prior to teaching Thai Massage Janice worked as a counselor and group facilitator teaching skill-based programs. She also worked with children and families in crisis, developing strategies for conflict resolution and communication skills. This adds depth to her teaching and her ability to hold space for groups in their healing and transformative process.
CERTIFICATION AND ACCREDITATION:
University of Alberta Bachelor of Arts – Psychology Degree, Graduation with Distinction
Associated Bodywork and Massage Professionals (ABMP)
Certified Bodywork Therapist
Bureau Private Postsecondary Vocational Education (BPPVE)
COA – Instructor
Institute of Thai Massage (ITM)
Spirit Winds honored as a “Sister School”
Certified Yoga Instructor trained at the Vivekananda Kendra Yoga Research Institute, Bangalore, India
Nerve Touch Institute
Spirit Winds honored as a “Sister School”
Thai Healing Alliance International (T.H.A.I.)
Executive Council member, Registered Thai Therapist (RTT), Member Institution
Co-Teaching with Master Teacher from Thailand, Lek Chaiya, owner
Instructor, Curriculum development, Advertising, Marketing, Program Director
Nerve Touch Institute
Background in this area include:
- Owner of Wild Sage Studio: massage, yoga, meditation, art, personal/professional workshops
- Presenter at professional forums
- Wellness/Mindfulness Collaboration with youth & educators in public school
- Continue Education Coordinator & assistant 2009
- Thai Massage instructor with Omaha School of Massage & Healthcare since 2011
- Thai Massage Training including: Northern Style and Thai Table massage various Thai Therapist since 2009.
- Advanced studying under Janice Gagnon in the Style of “Jap Sen” Nerve Touch, Northern, Thai Herbal, Thai Table
- 200 hour Yoga Teacher Training through Lotus House of Yoga 2011
- Graduate of Omaha School of Massage Therapy, Omaha, NE 2006
- Bachelor of Arts, Studio Art & Art History, Hastings College, Hastings, NE 2005
Francine has been passionate about practicing Thai Massage for the past 19 years and teaching it for the past 11 years. With over 1000 hours of Thai Massage training and over 4500 hours of recorded practice, Francine is one of the highest qualified Traditional Thai Massage practitioners in Canada.
She has studied with a dozen highly qualified Thai Massage teachers from all over the world.
Janice Gagnon of Spirit Winds School of Thai Massage was her first teacher and is a great friend. Her second teacher was Lek Chaiya, a reputable healer whom Janice brought from Thailand to America.
Francine has a full-time practice in Calgary, AB, giving 25 hours of Thai Bodywork weekly, and teaches Thai Massage there as well as in Nelson, BC. She is also a Registered Massage Therapist in Orthopedic Massage. She studies and practices Yuang Gong Qi Gong and the Ren Xue method taught by master healer Yuan Tze. She is also pursuing her studies in Clinical Thai Bodywork, which uses point therapy.
Francine is born in Québec. She resided in BC for 20 years where she was a hiking guide and Thai Therapist at various lodges.
Francine is an avid outdoor enthusiast and loves to travel to tropical countries. She loves to mountain bike, hike or snow board. Roaming the forest in search of medicinal plants and mushrooms, which she has been studying for over 20 years, is one of her greatest passions. She enjoys healthy cooking and is doing her certificate in body-mind performance. With her extensive travelling, she has learned to speak fluently three languages. She is a single mother of a beautiful 25-year-old woman.
“I will always be a student of Thai Massage.” —Francine Petit
Andrea Mesple is a Licensed Massage Therapist, specializing in Thai Massage, with over 1,500 hours of training in Massage Therapy and Yoga. She has been apprenticing with Janice Gagnon at Spirit Winds School of Thai massage since 2009.
Her accomplishments include:
- Graduate of Ralston School of Massage Reno, NV
- Over 500 hours of Thai Massage Training including: Basic and Advanced “Jap-Sen,” Northern Style Levels 1-4 and Thai foot massage.
- Experienced- Registered Yoga Teacher (E-RYT 200)
- Certified 200 hour Yoga Teacher Training through YogaMotion
- Certified Forrest Yoga Advanced Teacher Training
- Certified Anusara Yoga Therapy Teacher Training
- Certified Prenatal Yoga Teacher Training
- Studied Thai massage, Vipassana meditation and Yoga in Thailand.
- Master of Arts, International Security and Conflict Studies from Dublin City University in Dublin, Ireland
- Bachelor of Arts, International Communications from California State University, Sacramento
Cara Ringland is a Certified Spirit Winds School of Thai Massage Instructor. She has been studying and practicing since 2006 and has acquired over 700 hours of Specialization in Traditional Thai Massage. She has additional training in Iridology, Nutrition and Detoxification protocols. Her practice is based in Nevada City, CA but she provides certificate trainings throughout the USA as well as International Retreats.
- Over 700 hours of Thai Massage Training including: Basic and Advanced “Jap-Sen,” Northern Style Levels 1-4, Thai foot massage. Table Thai, Chi Nei Tsang and The History of Thai Medicine.
- Practicing Thai Massage since 2006
- Assistant Teacher at Spirit Winds School of Thai Massage located in Grass Valley, CA since 2017.
- Iridology Certification
- Nutrition Counselling and Detoxification Protocols
Aja Royal-Mann is an Advanced Thai Massage Therapist and Yoga instructor in Los Angeles, CA. She began her Thai massage journey with Spirit Winds in 2011, and has studied extensively with her mentor Janice Gagnon since then.
Aja has completed well over 500 hours of Traditional Thai Massage Training with several teachers, and over 1000 hours of Yoga Teacher Training with Annie Carpenter and Maty Ezraty.
She has been a primary teaching assistant at Spirit Winds and with her Yoga teachers. Aja is located in New Jersey.
Thai Massage Training with Aja will be offered for Intro to Thai Massage, Jap Sen Fundamentals, and Northern Style Levels 1 & 2.
Guest Instructor (LMT11382)
Jennifer Tyler (LMT11382) is a confirmed teacher in the lineage of Sharon Landrith and Adyashanti. She offers support in the unfoldment of spiritual awakening through: private meetings for spiritual-inquiry, group silent retreats and transformational healing sessions.
Anya Devi is a certified massage therapist and yoga instructor with over 1500 hours of training and 27 years experience as a bodywork practitioner. Since 1994, Anya travels frequently to Chiang Mai, Thailand to continue advanced studies of Thai Medical Massage and Chi Nei Tsang abdominal massage. She has completed all of the courses at Spirit Winds School of Thai Massage, under the tutelage of Janice Gagnon, Lek Chaiya. Anya also practices and teaches Qi Gong and Tai Chi at Body Balance Academy in Grass Valley, California. Anya Devi is dedicated to facilitating health & well-being to the community through therapeutic bodywork and the movement arts.
- 1989 Graduate of Massage Therapy Course, Well-Being Health Center, Sacramento, CA
- 1994 Old Medicine Hospital, Chaing Mai, Thailand
- 1998/99 Sivananda Basic & Advanced Yoga Teacher Training, Neyyar Dam, Kerala, India
- 2002-5 Spirit Winds School of Thai Massage, Apprentice/Assistant Teacher with Janice Gagnon
- 2009/11 ITM Teacher Training
- 2013/14 Chi Nei Tsang Basic & Advanced Trainings with Banjong Khun Ni, Chaing Mai, Thailand
- 2016 Chi Nei Tsang Teacher Training with Banjong Khun Ni, Chaing Mai, Thailand
Doctor of Medical Qi Gong
Linda’s passion for movement and transformation has lead her to practice and teach energy and movement medicine for over 20 years.
Doctorate in Medical Qigong, Linda has been offering personal training, workshops, retreats and certifying instructors through Inner Radiance Qigong since 2008.
Linda has been a Pilates Personal Trainer since 1999 and is certified with Pilates Method Alliance. She integrates whole-body functional strengthening, postural alignment, and bodywork into her sessions, helping her clients improve balance and coordination.
Linda holds a certification with NASM as a certified strength trainer and specializes in functional fitness and TRX.
Linda founded and directed Core Movement Center, during which time she created a thriving community of practitioners.
Linda’s training in Natural Therapeutics and Energy Bodywork blend seamlessly with her many mind-body movement modalities, including Pilates, Yoga, Nia, and transformational moving meditations. In her free time she enjoys dancing, martial arts, music, nature and community.
Linda’s teaching style makes it easy for students to integrate practices into their daily life. She enjoys guiding people into new experiences. Her warm heart and personality engage people so that they feel comfortable and enjoy learning.
C. Pierce Salguero, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Asian History & Religious Studies Program. Chair for Interdisciplinary Studies The Abington College of Penn State University
- 2016–present, Associate Professor of Asian History and Religious Studies, The Abington College of the Penn State University
- 2010–2016, Assistant Professor of Asian History and Religious Studies, Abington College
- 2013 (Fall semester), Humanities Writ Large Visiting Faculty Fellow, Religion Department, Duke University
- 2011-12, Penn Humanities Forum Mellon Regional Faculty Fellow, University of Pennsylvania
- 2009–10, Instructor, Depts. of History and Religious Studies, Le Moyne College (Syracuse, NY)
- 2008–09, Visiting scholar, Dharma Drum Buddhist College and Academia Sinica Institute of History & Philology (Taiwan)
- 2007–08, Instructor, Expository Writing Program and Dept. of History of Science, Medicine, & Technology, Johns Hopkins University
- Ph.D., History of Medicine, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, 2010. Dissertation title: “Buddhist Medicine in Medieval China: Disease, Healing, and the Body in Crosscultural Translation (2nd to 8th Centuries C.E.).” [Dissertation Review; revised version published in 2014 by University of Pennsylvania Press]. Graduate fields: History of religion and medicine in China; history of religion and medicine in India; history of medicine in the West; Chinese history.
- M.A., East Asian Studies, University of Virginia, 2005. Thesis title: “Thai Medicine Reconsidered: ‘Royal’ and ‘Rural’ Practitioners and the Struggle to Define a Tradition.” (Revised version published in 2007 by Hohm Press; 2nd edition 2015 White Lotus Press.)
- B.A., University of Virginia, 1996. Majors: Anthropology, Cognitive Science. Minor: East Asian Studies.